Cockroach infestations can occur in any number of different environments, from homes to restaurants to ships and planes. They are one of the more difficult pests to effectively control. Cockroach baits are the most popular products to control cockroaches and have been for almost two decades.
To obtain the greatest benefit from bait application, the following steps are suggested:
- Bait selection: Use a fast-acting bait that kills cockroaches upon contact or after consumption and provides long residual efficacy. You can also use a bait with secondary kill efficacy by which one roach can kill many others. Maxforce® FC Magnum Roach Killer Bait Gel has all of these components and can be used in residential and commercial buildings and hospitals. Maxforce FC Magnum attracts normal and aberrant-feeding cockroaches. With ContactX™ kill technology, cockroaches only need to touch the bait to die, and its Domino Effect® results in greater toxicity.
- Bait amount: Researchers suggest using assessment-based pest management to find out how much bait is needed. Deploy cockroach traps in the kitchen and bathrooms for one day or less to visually assess the level of infestation. Determine the amount of bait that should be applied based on the level of infestation (low, medium or high).
- Baiting method: As cockroaches detect odor from a short distance, applying multiple bait droplets will be more effective than a fewer number of droplets. However, when it comes to baiting a highly cluttered location with low sanitation levels (e.g., covered with food and personal items), you can use the “bait taco” method. This method suggests placing half a gram of bait diagonally along 2-inch squares of wax paper. The advantages of the bait taco method are that you can place them anywhere without contaminating the surfaces, it does not need any preparation by the resident, the lack of sanitation will not prevent baiting, and it saves a lot of time during treatment.
- Where to apply the bait: Bait should be applied to cracks and crevices where cockroaches pass across, such as baseboards, cabinetry corners, drawer hinges, beneath counter tops, where countertops or cabinets meet walls, around and beneath sinks, and where pipes meet walls. To further enhance efficacy, apply bait within 1-2 feet of harborages near cockroach aggregations, and remember that cockroaches like contact when they move around.
- Baiting time: It is preferred to use baits for cockroach management when the population is low so the infestation will get under control faster.
- Monitoring after treatment: Monitoring after treatment saves time and materials, and it shows efficiency of your bait and management.
- Rotation: Rotate your product every three to four months to avoid resistance. Maxforce Impact® Roach Gel Baits contains more complex carbohydrates and a different AI, offering an alternate mode of action. Maxforce® FC Select PIC Roach Killer Bait Gel can prove deadly to cockroaches whether they ingest the formula or come into physical contact with it and helps maintain a cockroach-free environment.
Dr. Sally Abbar
Field Development Scientist, Bayer Pest Management & Public Health