The American Mosquito Control Association (AMCA) has named the week of June 26 – July 2, 2016 as National Mosquito Control Awareness Week. This year more than ever awareness about the dangers of mosquitoes are on the minds of many. With Zika fears looming, young families, pregnant women and those planning to become pregnant have serious concerns about zika mosquitoes. As pest professionals we recognize that mosquitoes pose a larger threat than just Zika. West Nile Virus, Yellow Fever, Dengue and Encephilitis are other diseases that may be transferred via the bite of the mosquito.
The timing of this year’s Mosquito Control Awareness Week is perfect as summer heats up and people are looking to spend more time outside. How can you calm the fears of the home and business owners that you service while bringing a greater awareness to the threat that mosquitoes pose? Consider the following ideas to spread the word on controlling mosquitoes in and around homes and businesses.
Consider these ideas on how you can use Mosquito Control Awareness Week in your business:
- Craft and send a Press Release to your local papers. Editors are often times grateful for the extra content especially on a hot topic like Zika and mosquitoes.
- Send out an email blast to your customer base making them aware of mosquito control tips around their backyards as well as your service offerings.
- Reach out to local businesses whose patrons spend time outdoors such as: golf courses, outdoor eateries, local fairs and festivals, daycare centers, outdoor wedding and event spaces, local camps and camping sites. Educate them on your services and how you can lower mosquito populations around their location.
- Contact local radio stations to see if they would be interested in interviewing a mosquito expert.
- Hand out insect repellent samples with your business name and contact information.