By Chris Keefer, Technical Services Representative, Syngenta Professional Pest Management
Rodents are unique pests that can introduce economic and medical threats to customers and their properties. The three rodent species that Pest Management Professionals (PMPs) deal with on a regular basis are the house mouse (Mus domesticus), the Norway rat (Rattus norvegicus), and the roof rat (Rattus rattus). As a PMP, it is imperative to recognize and understand the signs of rodent activity. Being able to perform a proper inspection will help you develop and implement a successful Integrated Pest Management (IPM) plan for your customers.
As with any pest infestation, a rodent inspection should be conducted before implementing any control efforts. Night inspections, black lights, tracking powder and motion detection cameras may all come in handy during the process.
- Signs of rodent activity include:
- Droppings and urine stains
- Tracks and rub marks
- Gnawing damage
- Burrows and runways
- Any rodent sightings and sounds
- Rodents can be found in and around areas such as:
- Agricultural fields, grain and livestock sites
- Trash and dumpster collection sites
- Infested or abandoned properties
- Sewer systems
- Areas with heavy vegetation and/or easily accessible water
- In particular, check the following key areas during your inspection:
- Entry points into the structure
- Areas with poor sanitation
- Areas of high rodent activity
Once rodents are discovered and properly identified, develop a plan of action based on the results of your inspection. Sanitation, exclusion, mechanical control and chemical control should all be used to implement a successful IPM plan. If chemical control is necessary, Talon® Weatherblok® XT rodenticide from Syngenta provides effective rodent control with its active ingredient, brodifacoum, in a highly palatable formulation. It provides outstanding weatherability and palatability in harsh conditions, and can control even warfarin-resistant mice and rats with a single feeding.
To help you control rodents at a cost-effective price, Syngenta has introduced a new rodenticide pallet containing 12 16-lb. pails of Talon Weatherblok XT. Now through Dec. 31, 2018, purchase at least one pallet and earn a Carhartt® 5 Gallon Bucket Organizer, compliments of Syngenta1.